Sunday 24 March 2013

Evaluation - Question Seven


7. Looking back at your preliminary task (the continuity editing task) what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full project?

My preliminary task was involving filming and editing a character opening a door, crossing a room and sitting down in a chair opposite another character, with whom he/she engages conversation with. This task had to demonstrate a match on action - shot/reverse shot and the 180 degree rule. 

At the very start of media I had no clue in how to film, edit or produce. When given the Preliminary task I was excited but also quite confused on how to do anything. However during the Preliminary task I learnt the 180 degree rule which was over the shoulder shot. Also I learnt how to compose myself and try and keep a straight face as I was the actress in this along with Kelly who was in my group. During the Preliminary task I realised that having dialogue was the hardest thing, as it was hard to keep a straight face and stay in character when trying to recite lines, although they were a few it was not easy to say them and staying in character at the same time. 

Here is my Preliminary task: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWq-I8fqAVI

As I was acting in the Preliminary task I also volunteered to act in my thriller opening also. This was very daunting to me as I feel I am not exactly the best actress however as time was ticking and we did not know who to ask to play the role I took it upon myself. The one thing I feel that has progressed for me in this entire process of the full project is being confident in acting, editing and filming. I feel I have gained so much confidence from taking part in both the Preliminary and Thriller Opening as an actress. However acting in the Thriller Opening was a hundred times more daunting for me as I am not used to being in front of the camera - this however was overcome later on and I felt I could be in front of the camera all day! I have learnt so much in editing especially. At the beginning I did not know anything - I was useless at trying to put our Preliminary task together on Final cut express. Now however I am able to editing shots, change colours such as making all the shots black and white. Also using the 'Colour corrector' and 'Chrome Keyer' to highlight certain colours in order to show the audience specific areas in which I wanted them to observe. Also being able to conduct my own soundtrack for my Thriller opening was absolute fun, as we were able to ask a friend to compose a piece which we then used Garageband to add in more effects to the soundtrack. During the minor editing of the Preliminary task I was unaware of how to use Final cut fully - however for the Thriller Opening I was able to edit everything! I am so amazed at how far I have come in Media and how much I have learnt that I can use in everyday life with technology and different software's which I did not know how to use or know of before starting Media. 




DOOR SCENE HAS BEEN REMOVED


Over the past seven months I have been on an immense journey with Media and I have learnt so many new skills about myself and my ability but also how to work with others, produce certain projects and to not give up when not mastering a certain technique or software. Media has given me a total new outlook on software's the internet, films and even life! The skills and techniques I have learnt will enable me to use them in the future which I am very proud of achieving. I have gained the confidence in many areas and aspects and I am highly confident that I will be able to use all the experience I have gained. From the Preliminary task to the Thriller Opening - it has been an outstanding overall experience and it just shows how much progress you are able to make if you focus and allow yourself to learn new and wonderful skills. 

No comments:

Post a Comment